No, I’m not referring to the release of Ronnie Biggs, but to the escape Wyrley had on Saturday against Stone. Once again Wyrley had to make changes, Asa Wright reported injured and was replaced by Nick Millard for his first full start. Mark Simms was away so Doc Martin took his place, Bowater returned to defence to allow Arron Wright to return in midfield. The game got off to a lively start but Stone quickly settled and began to look the better side, when Wyrley did get the ball they tried too many times to play the hollywood ball instead of remaining patient and building structured attacks. After 15 minutes the unlucky Millard turned his ankle and had to go off.  Soon Stone got their reward and took a deserved lead. Instead of waking Wyrley up they just felt sorry for themselves and with 5 minutes to go before the break that was desperately needed, Stone went 2 up. A minute before the break a slice of undeserved luck came Wyrley’s way, Geldart was put through and the ‘keeper raced from his goal to intercept, the two met and Geldart was adjudged to have fouled him, but instead of just getting on with it the goalie stamped on the prostrate forward and was promptly shown the red card.

Half time Stone 2 Wyrley 0

Against 10 men the expected control of the game just didn’t happen, Wyrley were terrible, no communication and no teamwork. After 10 minutes Darby was injured and went off, almost immediately Stone went 3 up. Now Wyrley switched to 3-4-3, this did improve the performance and Stone were tiring.something more was needed however, with 15 minutes to go and with a 3rd substitution about to be made Wyrley scored. A free kick on the edge of the box was lashed into the roof of the net by Dolman. This made Wyrley delay the change. Now Wyrley were looking stronger, five minutes later and a second goal was scored, Geldart put in a lovely shot which the keeper could only push out and Dolman was on hand to net the loose ball. Now Wyrley were rampant, Kalinski was tormenting the defence and the substitution was made. Within a minute Stone had a second player dismissed for a second yellow card. Wyrley forced a corner and when the ball came in the makeshift keeper couldn’t hold it and Barry nodded home. Now Wyrley went for the kill, sub Fowler was put through with a great touch from Durnell but agonisingly saw his deft lob narrowly clear the bar, in the dying seconds Dolman hit the bar with another free kick. The game ended and a very fortunate point was taken. Wyrley have no game this week but must learn fast and put this awful performance behind them in time for the visit of Leek in the Staffs Vase. More teamwork is needed and less individual performances.

Full time Stone 3 Wyrley Juniors 3

Wyrley; Humphries; Martin, Bowater, Foster (capt), Kalinski; Wright; Millard, Moore, Dolman, Darby; Geldart. Subs; Yeomans, Myatt, Durnell, Fowler J , Barry.

1 comment for this article:
  1. avatar
    Keith Hardy (Chairman)

    Great fightback – keeps the unbeaten run going!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Search wyrleyjuniors.net

If you cannot find what you are looking for please get in touch via the contact page.

Report Abuse

CEOP helps any child or young person under the age of 18 who is being pressured, forced or tricked into taking part in sexual activity of any kind. This can be something that has taken place either online or in 'the real world', or both. The CEOP Safety Centre has clear information and advice on what can be reported to CEOP, the reporting process and what will happen if you do decide to make a report. You can visit the CEOP Safety Centre and make a report directly to CEOP by clicking the Click CEOP button below.