The Jaguars have had a busy weekend with home league shield action on Saturday morning against Chasetown and the eagerly anticipated Bilston Challenge Cup Semi Final against Ashmore Park Rangers on Sunday.

With District football and athletics plus injuries the Jags were down to the bare minimum for the visit of Chasetown. The depth and quality of squad which at the start of the season was tough to balance was now proving essential as Wyrley dominated from the first minute to the last. With three ‘up top’ goals were never going to be an issue as so this proved as Wyrley hit the ground running as Billy found the back of the net within the first 5 minutes. To be fair to Chasetown they battled and got bodies behind the ball for the whole hour but it was one way traffic for most of the game. Wyrley then hit the bar before a second was added from a corner that went in off a Chasetown defender. The pressure continued to be applied on the visitors defence and with half time approaching the 4-0 scoreline did flatter Chasetown’s battling side who brave keeper was seeing plenty of the ball.
The second half saw much the same, Louie soon took his growing tally for the season to 14 with another two goals, Jamie dashed from his morning cricket session onto the pitch to beautifully strike an unstoppable left foot shot into the top corner and Luke who never stops working seemed to round every defender before smashing home the final goal to make it a magnificent seven!
Man of the match – Sam, a continual threat down the right hand side with skill and pace!

The Jaguars were expecting a tougher encounter 24 hours later as Ashmore Park Rangers were the visitors for the Bilston Challenge Cup Semi Final. A mid week switch in venue saw a slight shift in advantage and the Jags despite the game the previous day were the slowest out the blocks. Slowly but surely Wyrley began to get a grip of the game and 12 minutes in from a well taken corner Tom ‘Tank’ Leak gave the Jags the lead. The lead was soon doubled when Tank got his second from a well taken free kick that flew into the bottom corner beating both the wall and keeper with ease. More pressure on the APR defense as Wyrley used the width well and found joy with Bruce and Coops attacking with pace. With minutes to go to half time Bruce broke away only to be hacked down by the APR defender. A undisputed penalty was calmly placed in the bottom corner by Louie to make the half time team talk very easy.
3-0 and cruising, 30 minutes from a deserved place in the final the Jags started the second half confidently with more success down the flanks but some dogged defending from APR saw them try to counter which was easily tided up by Pricey and the back four. As ever Luke lead from the front and made the fourth from nothing, the Jags were now comfortable and even when APR grabbed a goal back from a poorly cleared goal mouth scramble confidence never dipped. A fifth was added following a cross from Sam and Louie doubled his tally with a glancing far post header. With Wyrley pushing players forward Louie grabbed another to complete a hat trick and the man of the match trophy. APR got another consolation from the penalty spot shortly before the end but it couldn’t take away from how well the whole team played with the reward of a Cup Final at Bilston Town FC near the end of the season.
Man of the match – Hat trick hero Louie

Wednesday night saw The Jags back in action for the 3rd time in 5 days in the Floodlit Cup and took on Kinver Colts from the Midlands Junior Premier League. The Jags started brightly on the monster pitch that really needs 12 players each side at this age and the early exchanges where on the offensive. Kinver tried to play on the counter but Wyrley where always quicker to the ball and mid way through the first half took the lead through goal machine Louie. It wasn’t long before Louie had grabbed his second from the right hand side this time and at half time the Jags where cruising!
What the Colts manager must have said fired Kinver up at half time as they came out like a side possessed and within 10 minutes lead 3-2. It left the Jags somewhat bemused and when not long after Kinver scored again to make it 4-2 the game looked completely lost. To their credit Wyrley began to work their way back into the game and when Luke broke free and got one back Wyrley where now back in the ascendency. Two minutes later and Luke had grabbed another to make it 4-4 and Kinver’s confidence was shot. With only minutes left Luke was off again, clean through with only the keeper to beat, for the first time in the game he handled well to stop what would have been the winner. With the final attack of the game Kinver had managed to scrape a corner which once swung in bounced up and hit a Wyrley player on the arm. A harsh decision but a penalty none the less which was perfectly smashed home. With no time left Kinver celebrated like they’d never won before, a great experience and learning curve resulting in another terrific team performance.

3 comments for this article:
  1. avatar
    Simon Steptoe

    Well, done Jags & Rich, keep me posted on when the final is I will try to bring a few of the boys down to watch or even my youg one will volunteer to ball boy it for you, I have them well drilled in how to fall on the ball if there are ten minutes to go and you are winning!!!!

  2. avatar
  3. avatar
    Coops Snr

    Thanks Si

    Thanks Keith

    Final proposal from the organisers is a Wednesday night fixture under lights late March early April at Bilston Town FC

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Search wyrleyjuniors.net

If you cannot find what you are looking for please get in touch via the contact page.

Report Abuse

CEOP helps any child or young person under the age of 18 who is being pressured, forced or tricked into taking part in sexual activity of any kind. This can be something that has taken place either online or in 'the real world', or both. The CEOP Safety Centre has clear information and advice on what can be reported to CEOP, the reporting process and what will happen if you do decide to make a report. You can visit the CEOP Safety Centre and make a report directly to CEOP by clicking the Click CEOP button below.