An entertaining game in difficult conditions saw Wyrley extend their unbeaten run to 4 games, though they were unlucky not to claim all 3 points as Uxbridge scored with the last kick of the game.

Wyrley were up against it in the first half facing severe wind & rain and duly conceded 2 sloppy goals within the first 10 minutes. Both goals cam from down the Wyrley right as first a super crossfield ball was played inside left back Jeff Wright and the Uxbridge winger eased the ball over the advancing Pollard. Then a Whitehouse error let in the centre forward who mad it 2-0.

Wyrley forced their way into the game, particularly after Uxbridge lost Karl Edwards to injury and forced a series of corners non of which they were able to capitalise on. Michael Clayton rounded the keeper but had his shot cleared and Mark Whitehouse had a long distance free kick tipped on to the post as the half drew to a close.

The second half was always going to be a different story with Wyrley confident of pulling back the deficit after scoring 14 goals in their last 3 games. With wind advantage the pace of Matt Moseley and Adam Green terrorised the Uxbridge back line. 

A throw in down the left was played into the feet of Wright, inside the box, who was tripped clumsily from behind and the ref had no hesitation in awarding a spot kick. Liam Faherty stepped up confidently to send the keeper the wrong way.

Wyrley continued to dominate possession and off a long goal kick Moseley out-paced the defence only to see his lob headed off the line.  Wyrley equalised after a corner was only partially cleared and after a scrappy exchange the ball broke kindly for Wright to hammer into the net off the underside of the bar.

Then a throw-in from the right into Moseley saw him evade his marker and stroll into the box before nonchalantly flicking the ball into the net as defender trailed behind.

A rare break away saw Uxbridge race down the right and the low cross was hit back across goal only for Pollard to parry into the net. A free kick by Green was headed wide by Crook as Wyrley pressed again for the winner. Then Uxbridge cleared only to right back Paul Durbin who half-volleyed into the net from 40 yards.

Wyrley were confident of hanging on to the win but another break down the right saw Whitehouse commit a foul just outside the box and the kick was rolled to the Uxbridge centre forward who beat Pollard with a screaming shot just inside the post.

Overall a spirited performance in difficult conditions and Wyrley continue with confidence into the League Cup next week.         

Team: 4-4-2
Pollard, Durbin, Wright, Whitehouse, Clayton (A), Faherty (Arnold), Crook, Clayton (M), Moseley (Burkett), Garbett, Green.
Subs: Arnold, Burkett.

Booked: Faherty

2 comments for this article:
  1. avatar
    Keith Hardy (Chairman)

    Sounds like you deserved more – but it keeps the unbeaten run going!

  2. avatar

    difficult game in difficult conditions but it shows us the way we have moved forward over the last few weeks

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Search wyrleyjuniors.net

If you cannot find what you are looking for please get in touch via the contact page.

Report Abuse

CEOP helps any child or young person under the age of 18 who is being pressured, forced or tricked into taking part in sexual activity of any kind. This can be something that has taken place either online or in 'the real world', or both. The CEOP Safety Centre has clear information and advice on what can be reported to CEOP, the reporting process and what will happen if you do decide to make a report. You can visit the CEOP Safety Centre and make a report directly to CEOP by clicking the Click CEOP button below.