Today’s games at Shelfield featured a complete turnout of the Warriors’ squad who played two entertaining matches. Before this , Lee thoughtfully provided the players with poppies in recognition of this being Remembrance Sunday.

Our first encounter, Tipton Town proved to be one of the most challenging teams to date. Warriors played hard but were overtaken by the level of skill demonstrated by Tipton. Their ability to pass the ball meant that they had control of the game. After Tipton’s first goal, Isaac crossed well to Jack but unluckily his shot went over the bar. Their second goal came from a good long ball which finished up in the corner of the net. Cole helped Wyrley by making two good saves including taking on the striker, to deny Tipton the goal.  Warriors continued to battle though, in particular, Harry worked really hard and came close to scoring but Tipton have a good goalkeeper.

In the second half Harry and Cole swapped places and both showed skill again. Cole’s nifty footwork was evident. Harry , meanwhile, found himself exposed and on his own  but made a great save. Town’s next attack was  a close shave but the ball was cleared off the line with the effort of every member of the team.

In this half, Lewis came closest to scoring and seems to have recovered his form. Wyrley were then unlucky when the ball landed just out of reach into their goal. However, Tipton’s next goal demonstrated their speed and accuracy with the long ball. Their next passed too high over Hayden’s head for him to stop it but despite this second half barrage ,Wyrley tackled well and Lewis still had a go with a great kick. Unfortunately, the ball passed over the bar, which was a shame after his hard work in the game.

Our second game was a local derby against Wyrley Lions and in the tradition of such matches ended in a goalless draw. However, there was plenty of excitement. One of the highlights was when Carter stopped the ball -passed to Hayden who passed to Cole who came close to scoring. Jack had to make a number of saves as team members had to be reminded constantly to mark the opposition!

In the second half  Warriors nearly took the lead when Harry’s shot unfortunately just trickled past the goalmouth. Shortly after, he broke free  and outwitted  the opposition but still could not score. Then when the tables turned and a goal seemed certain , Alfie tackled several Lions to save the day.

After the match , Lee described today’s performance as  ‘amazing’  but reminded the team in strong terms to listen to the coaches’ advice during a match. Man of the Match went to Harry for great goalkeeping and Alfie for his singlehanded defence at the end of the second game which kept the score level and tamed the Lions.


No comments for this entry yet...

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Search wyrleyjuniors.net

If you cannot find what you are looking for please get in touch via the contact page.

Report Abuse

CEOP helps any child or young person under the age of 18 who is being pressured, forced or tricked into taking part in sexual activity of any kind. This can be something that has taken place either online or in 'the real world', or both. The CEOP Safety Centre has clear information and advice on what can be reported to CEOP, the reporting process and what will happen if you do decide to make a report. You can visit the CEOP Safety Centre and make a report directly to CEOP by clicking the Click CEOP button below.