After coming back from 2 down in the first leg to draw 2-2 Wyrley went into Saturday’s game determined to get themselves into the final.

Wyrley came straight out of the blocks and put Penkridge under a lot of pressure in the early stages and they were unlucky not to take the lead after 15 minutes through Steve Foster. Jimmy Moore delivered a corner to the back post which Foster met on the volley only to see the effort skim the wrong side of the post. Amazingly Penkridge missed an almost identical chance. Again it was a far post corner and the Penkridge forward saw his volley fly over the bar.

Penkridge had another chance on 25 minutes again from a corner. The first ball was cleared but when the Penkridge player crossed again he found his striker in acres of space 8 yards out. The striker made good contact with a header and Wyrley were saved by Richard James who made an excellent stop from close range.

Jamie Fowler then went close for Wyrley on 35 minutes when he hit a rocket from 30 yards that had the keeper beaten all ends up but thundered back off the crossbar. Wyrley continued to push and they got their reward on 40 minutes. Mark Brindley challenged for the ball on the edge of the box and the ball looped up into the air. The Penkridge keeper called for it but made an error allowing it to bounce and Shaun Charles rose in front of him and nodded the ball over the keeper into an empty net. The first half ended 1-0 and Wyrley were good value for their lead.

The second half became a real battle in midfield with both teams struggling to carve out any real chances before Chris Fowler had a chance to wrap the game up on 65 minutes. A lovely cross from Jimmy Moore dropped over a Penkridge defender into Fowler’s path but unfortunately he had to stretch to reach the ball and could only fire his shot straight at the Penkridge keeper.

With 15 minutes to go Penkridge switched to a 3-4-3 formation in an attempt to get the equaliser and they started to pump balls from all over the pitch into the Wyrley box. The back four of Wyrley consisting of Dan Martin, Steve Foster, Adam Brough and Stuart Foster defended brilliantly though and won every header and challenge during the closing moments to ensure Wyrley progressed through to the final.

An excellent spirited performance from the Wyrley boys and the management team are very proud of the effort and commitment that they have shown to get the final, against Black Country Rangers, which will be played on Tuesday 11th May at a Venue to be confirmed.

Wyrley Team – Richard James, Steve Foster, Dan Martin, Adam Brough, Stuart Foster, Chris Fowler, Shaun Charles , Danny Dolman, Jamie Fowler, Mark Brindley, Jimmy Moore. Subs – Aidan Smith

, Chris Asbury , Paul Yeomans, Paul Baker.

Man of the Match – Dan Martin

1 comment for this article:
  1. avatar
    Keith Hardy (Chairman)

    Tremendous result! Well done the management team and all the squad.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Search wyrleyjuniors.net

If you cannot find what you are looking for please get in touch via the contact page.

Report Abuse

CEOP helps any child or young person under the age of 18 who is being pressured, forced or tricked into taking part in sexual activity of any kind. This can be something that has taken place either online or in 'the real world', or both. The CEOP Safety Centre has clear information and advice on what can be reported to CEOP, the reporting process and what will happen if you do decide to make a report. You can visit the CEOP Safety Centre and make a report directly to CEOP by clicking the Click CEOP button below.