Pensnett Panthers 2-3 Wyrley Juniors

Wyrley maintained their position at the top of the league on Saturday with a hard fought victory against Pensnett Panthers.

The deadlock was broken as early as 40 seconds into the game when Steve Foster played a through ball and Tom Lowe showed great strength to hold off the Pensnett defender before firing past the advancing keeper. Pensnett then applied a lot of pressure trying to get back into the game before Wyrley had a great chance to double their lead after 25 minutes. Tom Lowe twisted and turned inside the box before pulling the ball back to Lee Charles eight yards out but Charles dragged his shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

This fired Pensnett back into action and they deservedly got the equaliser 10 minutes before half time. Wyrley gave away a silly free kick on the right hand side which was delivered high into the box and won by a Pensnett player, although Lee Holliday made an excellent save from the initial effort the loose ball was bundled home and Pensnett had the goal their pressure had deserved.

Five minutes before the break Wyrley got the ball down and for the first time in the game played some lovely football which resulted in them taking the lead again. Chris Fowler and Lee Charles were instrumental in the move and when Charles found space in the box he fired a low shot past the Pensnett keeper that struck the foot of the post and fell kindly to Tom Lowe who had the simple task of volleying home from 6 yards. That was the end of the scoring in the first half and Wyrley went in at the break 2-1 up against the run of play.

After a half time rollicking Wyrley came out for the second half in much better form and pushed to try and get the killer goal. Paul Yeomans saw his effort from 35 yards fly over the bar before Phil Bowater met a corner from Charles but he unfortunately failed to keep his header down.

Then with 10 minutes to go Wyrley were caught on the counter attack and Pensnett got back on level terms. A good ball was delivered from the right hand side and the Pensnett striker had a free header from 8 yards which sneaked past Holliday’s despairing dive. Almost straight from the restart Pensnett had a chance to take the lead for the first time in the game. Wyrley carelessly gave the ball away and the Pensnett striker then latched on to a through ball and found himself with only Holliday to beat. However the big keeper saved bravely at the striker’s feet to keep Wyrley in the game.

As the game seemed to be frustratingly heading for a draw Chris Fowler found Chris Geldart and his pace got him clear of the Pensnett defence and in on goal. Just as Geldart was about to pull the trigger he was scythed down from behind and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Although there was a long delay before the kick was taken as the referee dismissed the offending player and another Pensnett player for dissent. Lee Charles kept his nerve and smashed the spot kick home to save the day.

Next week Wyrley are at home against Longton Harriers in the Staffs Cup, 1:30 kick off.

Wyrley Team – Lee Holliday, Steve Foster, Dan Martin, Jamie Fowler, Stuart Foster, Paul Yeomans, Lee Charles, Chris Fowler, Tom Lowe, Chris Geldart, Saul Stocking. Subs – Mark Brindley, Greg Tarbuck, Phil Bowater

the lion king movie full

, Paul Baker.

Man Of The Match – Lee Holliday

Share Facebook Twitter

More on Men First Team 23/24

Pitch side advertising opportunities

Pitch side advertising opportunities

This year the club embarks on its latest stage in it’s development, with the opening of our new ground at Harrisons Ground, Hazel Lane, Great…...
Main Club Trophies awarded

Main Club Trophies awarded

The Club awarded some of its Main Annual Trophies to worthy winners at the club meeting on Monday night. Pictured below: – Our U8s Meerkats…...
Tom Green – Club Captain!

Tom Green – Club Captain!

We are delighted to announce the Club Captain for the male section of the Club! Tom Green, currently one of the oldest players in the…...